Summary: The Technical Sales and Support Specialist is responsible for communicating with prospects, customers, subsidiary offices, distributors and outside sales team via phone and email. Responsible for in-depth product knowledge, use and routine maintenance issues to support the sales of Harvard Bioscience’s broad product portfolio to academic, government, pharmaceutical and other organizations. Provides pre- and post-sales support to distributors, subsidiary offices, and outside sales force. Significantly contributes toward the sales growth of Harvard Bioscience through appropriate customer communication and follow through.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Talks with prospects, customers, subsidiary offices, distributors and sales primarily via phone and email providing pre- and post-sales support on a wide range of products.
- Supports customer service on product questions, customer inquiries and customer issues.
- Prepares detailed quotes to meet the customer’s requirements.
- Follows sales process for following leads and quotations.
- Interfaces with vendors regarding product information.
- Maintains customer records.
- Responds to all website registration emails.
Competency To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyses information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings. Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Give and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Adaptability – Adapts to change in work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience – BS or MS in Life Science Field or related specialty with 3-5 years of relevant lab experience or equivalent industry experience. Also acceptable: BS or MS in Engineering Field or a related specialty with 3-5 years of relevant biotech experience. Background in or exposure to transfection or similar is ideal.
- Language Skills –Second Language would be ideal, but not required.
- Computer Skills – T o perform this job successfully, an individual should be capable in using Microsoft Office; Cloud Based Applications, and Online Search Engines.