Summary: The Technical Sales Representative is responsible for managing an existing customer base and direct sales growth in the Mid-Western US Territory (presently IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MI, MN, MO, OH, WI) as well as the Canadian Provinces West of Quebec, for the Electrophysiology business unit of Harvard Bioscience. The representative will provide applications and solutions expertise, supporting sales of the product portfolio offered to academic, government, pharmaceutical and other organizations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Conduct territory activities, including:
- Qualify incoming US Sales inquiries, provide recommendations, prepare quotations and advance to sale closure.
- Prospect for new business through effective use of communication media and in-person visits.
- Determine customer needs and execute cross-selling effectively.
- Work with in-house and other company representatives to present and sell product lines.
- As needed, demonstrates product, using samples, literature and electronic presentations to emphasize unique selling features.
- Segment the customer and prospect database, make contact and initiate sales activities.
- Conduct local shows and attend National trade shows as directed.
- Meet goals for call/travel metrics & corporate CRM use.
As Business Needs Dictate:
- Travel throughout the assigned territory to call on regular and prospective customers, minimum 3 days per week. Home office location must afford sales representative the ability to quickly reach major territory accounts on a daily basis.
- Demonstrate 1) substantial product knowledge within the area of in-vivo and in-vitro Electrophysiology research, 2) sales effectiveness and 3) be a resource for the development of the sales team.
- Takes leadership in development and communication of sales best practices for the assigned product lines.
- Conduct Post Sales activities, follow up with customers; ensure their success and enroll customers as referrals.
- Prepares reports of weekly activity, keeps sales pipeline up to date and submit regular expense reports in a timely fashion as required. Enter new prospect information and keep CRM database up to date with daily activities. Develop and update a territory business plan.
- Provide front line customer support, involve in-house resources and keep track of customer relationship to ensure satisfaction.
- Provide customer feedback to sales and marketing organization.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in biology or life sciences. The ideal candidate will have hands on experience in a life science research laboratory.
- Four to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2+ years of successful Life Science sales experience with demonstrated competence in system and solution selling.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Must be able to travel up to 60% of the time, based on geographic territory and business requirements. Must be able to rent automobiles within the defined territory.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is often exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.,
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge and follow business procedures of Contact Management systems; Email & Internet software; Spreadsheet, Presentation and Word Processing software.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Current Drivers License and Proof of Insurance.